What a day! It's 11:06 pm (quite late for this grandma), and I am still up working on homework. The end is in sight!
I created my digital story today using Photostory3. I admit, I experienced frustration with this PC-only project, especially after all my early attempts to complete the project failed. However, I created my video today and, I have to admit, I'm feeling pretty proud.
Now, I am not necessarily a digital dinosaur, but I am not what one might call "technologically savvy." As the program has gone on, however, my tech professor is slowly converting me. I have now gone completely online with my word processing; I create everything with Google Docs. I tend to spend a bit too much time playing around with my Weebly, and I honestly had a blast putting my digital story together. This digital story is a first creation of the sort for me, and while it may be simplistic, I left campus feeling accomplished in my new found skill. I eagerly rushed home to show my husband before e-mailing out the link to family and friends.
As I was driving home from campus tonight, my mind was churning with thoughts on how to utilize this program in a classroom. I think it would be wonderful to take pictures of your students and their work throughout the year, and then render a final video showing their progress to their parents in June. Granted, I mostly likely will not have the time to create one for each student, but I do think it could be done as a class. I also think that you could create a short story about yourself to send out to parents before the beginning of the year, or to post on your classroom website. It would be a brief introduction to who you are as a person and as teacher.
Still brainstorming and working things out. Just had a thought about creating one of these bad boys with the photos from my wedding...

Smiling here! One of the things that I find so intriguing about this tech world is that it often does spur so many ideas and thinking about how we could do projects that enrich school for kids.
ReplyDeleteThere is such a creative element to multimedia -- and yes, there are so many ways to take this to the classroom.
Wedding? :)