"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." - Frederick Douglass

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Help!

It's official.

I've reached the point in the quarter where I am furiously treading water and struggling to keep my head above water. Three more weeks. Deep breath.

During this period of assignment chaos, I've done some reflecting on my time management skills. While I was an undergrad, I was the queen of procrastination. As I've gotten older, I've gotten wiser (or so I like to think). I now start my projects early and constantly try to work ahead. Still, it's all catching up to me. As a teacher, time management skills are key! I believe these skills are one of the most important qualities a teacher can possess. Help me here - if you have an efficient trick to getting things done, please suggest! It'll be much appreciated.

In closing, I am going to keep my flares in my pocket (for now) and just know that there are 35 other people going through this with me. For that, I am grateful.

3 comments:

  1. Oh dear! As your "colleague", I am shocked! You put on your 'bulldozing' hat everyday and I had no idea!! I should have known. I feel guilty.
    Well lean on me indeed my friend! We'll get you through this. Remember, you don't have to martyr yourself! You are shinning out and excelling as it is. Take those furry legged friends of yours out and have a laugh. You don't ALWAYS have to be ahead...just right on time will do ;)
    Oh yeah, and good news... Christmas is coming! You'll get a break, hang in there! (Even if it is by your teeth!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Book23,

    Here are a few time management tidbits that I've happened upon:

    1) Place a value of importance on each task: a value for the amount of effort that you will exert on that task. Effort then naturally translates into the time you will spend completing it. Don't spend more time or effort on that task than it is worth to you.

    2) A wise man once told me that perfectionists never get anything done. At one point in time I would have refused to believe him, but I now see the truth in what he said. If you try to make everything perfect, you will continue to work on it indefinitely. We're human, not perfect!

    3) Schedule time for the important things in life: family, going to the gym, reading a book that's been sitting on your shelf collecting dust. Of course, we've chosen to become teachers because our students are important to us. However, remember that if we're not healthy and happy, how can we give our students what they need and deserve?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "ponderer" is a wise being. If everyone followed what the ponderer pondered, then what would the ponderer ponder about? Hmmmm

    I want to offer my utmost respect for your use of the "Lean on Me" video in your blog. I love when people get their message across through the use of pictures or video and you accomplished just that. Bravo book23!!

    ReplyDelete