I learned about the importance of giving students concrete math examples. It was interesting to think about the fact that math is taught from abstract to concrete, instead of the other way around. Almost all other subjects are approached in this manner. What a powerful point. I plan to do more reflecting on introducing concreteness into my math lessons.
I am still wondering about the comment, "Subtraction is just addition in the opposite direction." I understand the concept, but I think it might be difficult for kids to grasp. They may realize they just go the other way on a number line, but I would probably argue that they aren't truly understanding what subtraction is. I am also wondering about the process for bringing multiple strategies into a classroom. How do you determine which strategies to use? How many do you introduce? Which ones? Why?
I feel that our work with manipulatives today translates directly into use of manipulatives in the classroom. As I previously mentioned, I'm doing a lot of thinking around integrating concrete examples in my math lessons. Knowing which manipulatives to use and how to use them to give children concrete experiences is key for an educator. Guess I'd better start brushing up!
No comments:
Post a Comment