First day back and straight into puzzling out complicated math problems.
I re-learned how wonderful it feels to finally make sense of a problem. I understood the pattern with Sneaky Snakes, but struggled to create a rule. When I finally saw the 1x3, 2x4, 3x5, etc. grids in the snake, there was an excitement as I saw a pattern that I could use to move forward with creating my rule. I'm 24 years old, have two Bachelor degrees, have taken advanced calculus, and still got very excited over seeing a pattern!
I am still a bit apprehensive about the whole calling on people with cards idea. I think it is imperative to mix us up because we do tend to gravitate to our same tables (I personally have a designated space & chair). However, I feel a sick sense of dread as I wait for a card to be picked. I am completely capable of sharing my thinking, and often do voluntarily, but the card thing is hard for me right now. I did appreciate that people called up were willing to share their thinking and did not feel the need to necessarily "have the right answer."
I am reminded of the need to share the moments of accomplishment with my students more. As they "see a pattern" and feel that sense of "Wow, I did it!," I need to take a second to revel in that with them. They are making sense of their world and enriching the learning environment in our classroom. These feelings help drive motivation and are an integral piece to the learning process.
No comments:
Post a Comment