"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." - Frederick Douglass

Monday, January 31, 2011

Geometry? I got that!

Wow, another week has gone by already.  Eek!

I really enjoyed the activity we did today folding the paper over and over into various shapes before building a paper box.  1) My husband was impressed with the pretty purple paper box I presented him (say that 5 times fast!), and 2) I realized that I know a lot more geometry then I give myself credit for.  Going through and explaining how I knew a shape was a shape was a powerful experience. I feel that we're moving so fast these days that it's easy to say, "Well, it's a square because that's what it is."  It was refreshing to slow down a bit and actually think about the properties of what made it a square.  I also appreciated the piece about immersing yourself in the content you are teaching - the more knowledgeable you are, the more you are able to help your students.

Questions - What format are we using for our lesson plan?  Is there a specific format?  Are we borrowing from several formats? I am confused.

I'd like to take forward my experience of talking through my knowledge.  My ability to talk through my thinking and validate how I knew a square was a square demonstrated my understanding of the properties of a square.  When I allow my students to explain their thinking, I can assess their understanding, and they can reinforcement or clarify their understanding.

I also plan to spend more time learning about the curriculum I am teaching.  I was reminded of a conversation I recently had with my MT.  We've been working through a unit on nonfiction with our first graders.  Other educators believe that the work they've been doing is a bit much for first graders to handle.  I will admit to being one of those people before seeing this unit taught.  I have been continually impressed by both my MT and our students.  One of the key components of nonfiction text is the ability to give our students background knowledge.  Reading nonfiction text helps them as they continue to grow in their personal and academic lives (particularly in social studies and science).  Without background knowledge, much of the learning can be empty.  As teachers, we need background knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment