"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." - Frederick Douglass

Monday, February 14, 2011

GeoSketch & Fathom

I enjoyed using the math software today.  I particularly liked the exercise where we had to use the shapes to cover the other shapes in the face.  It was also interesting to analyze teacher pay back in 1985.  I learned that Alaska is the highest paying state - who knew?

Still questioning the relevance to us.  I know we are getting a K-8 certificate, but this software seems quite advanced for elementary school.  I love learning about the software and knowing it's out there.  I just hope that I have the chance to use it again someday.

Implications - as digital manipulatives are just as helpful to students as tangible manipulatives, I need to think of ways to integrate more digital math technology into my teaching. Speaking of, I recently learned how to access math flip charts for the ActivBoard and hope to try it out during my lesson this week!

As we talked about the defining characteristics of teachers who make a difference, I was reminded of a favorite quote of mine: "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

No comments:

Post a Comment