"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." - Frederick Douglass

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

iTouch Update

I decided today to pump up my efforts with technology in the classroom.  While I recognize the potential benefits of using an iPod Touch to differentiate instruction through the use of various apps, I am not quite ready to bring it into my main placement. Having a hard time seeing how it would work with our group of kiddos.

I am, however, thinking a lot about use of the ActivBoard.  I am willing to take on some new learning and try it on with our first graders.  Some of my time this weekend will be spent brushing up on use of the IWB and prepping for student use.  Will post again when I have some juicy details on how it's going!

P.S.  To those of you who have used an IWB in your placement, I would love to hear your thoughts - positive and negative!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Book23,
    I am also really wanting to use the Activboard more often in the classroom. In third grade, my teacher usually uses the chart paper to write things down for a lesson, but I have found that it's just not "me." My field instructor is also encouraging me to try to use the Activboard, and I whole heartedly agree.

    This week I saw two Math lessons, one in 2nd grade, and one in 4th. These teachers both used the Activboard, and it was extremely exciting for me to watch! (I know, nerdy, but true!) For the 2nd grade lesson, the teacher used the Math Expressions flip charts. When she started her lesson, the page showing the objectives appeared. She was then able to do shared instruction with them looking at a bar graph about zoo animals. She drew directly on the slide and also showed them how they should draw their tally marks. Finally, she brought up the student workbook page that the kids would be working on independently and read each question aloud.

    The 4th grade teacher also used the math flip charts to work with a small group of kids who were struggling. The students were studying measurement, so he drew directly on the diagram they were working with.

    I have to say, I am sold! I definitely plan on using it for my future lessons. I really want to get the kids up and writing on it too. I have heard of other teachers who take attendance by using the pen to slide their name over to hot lunch A or B or home lunch.

    --Gertie

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are lots of reasons to postpone using something like a Touch in the classroom, but you have nothing to lose just be trying something with a few kids. You won't know otherwise what the potential might be, and I promise you, they are being used in classrooms filled with kids just like yours.

    There is such potential for having tech in kids hands where they are actively learning --- a whole different use of tech than having the conventional methods of teachers standing in the front of the classroom talking -- even while they may animate things more with the white board.

    ReplyDelete